1929 trunk rack 2 piece

Home Page Forums General 1929 trunk rack 2 piece

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Very glad the pictures were helpful.

The metal bars (straps) would be easy to fabricate.

If you want me to remove one and trace it on a piece of card stock and send it to you I can do that.

Let me know.

Craig,

That would be amazing. Thank you so much.

Thanks, Rick

You will have some card stock coming your way soon.

Craig,

You are amazing. Thanks more than I can express. Rick

Craig,

The strap will be amazing. However, we have come upon another problem with this rack.

The rack is the two piece rack. With The smaller piece placed closest to the bumper the larger piece does not reach back far enough to sit upon the loops above the gas tank. The chrome “S” support bars do not seam to fit anywhere. They just dont line up just right.

Do you or anyone have the schematics of this rack installed with all straps, bars, bolts etc…..???? There are extra drill holes and holes that do not line up to anything? Its becoming the rubics cube of trunk racks. lolo

ANY HELP!!

Rick, as you can see in my photos, my truck rack is a single piece that just folds downward if you do not want to have a trunk mounted.

I think Dave Coco said his car has a two piece trunk rack but he doesn’t think the setup is original.

My trunk rack is original, but it’s a 1931, so I don’t think it’s like the 1929 rack that’s being discussed. I do not have the heavy supports that are shown in the pictures.

When I say “original” on mine, all the original components are there, I’ve just modified them to bring the trunk in close to the back of the phaeton body. I don’t like the trunk sticking out way back from the body, and the accompanying stretched bumper.

Rick, here is the line drawing in the 29 parts book for the two piece rack. Karl

Rick here is the 30 2 piece rack, Karl

Karl,

This is amazing. Everyone has sent me photos. Who would have thought there were so many combinations.

This is fantastic. Thank you so much. Rick

When I restored my 1930 Model B Phaeton it was impossible to find these brackets for the luggage rack. I then made Wood models for casting. The drawings of the brackets in the part book was originally scaled down from the Construction drawings.The only thing I had to do was to enlarge the part book drawings into the right size. I then had correct drawings for my models which i carved out in Wood. In the photo you can see the Wood models an the casted parts in bronze.

Here you see them ready on my car. I may have some extra.

Oivind

My large chrome piece second hole is not drilled out. It is solid and nickled/chrome. Plus, my S bars are much larger than yours. This is the most bizzare configuration.

Rick,

Would it be possible to get photos of your trunk rack and parts? I am wondering if it got changed out say with one from another cars or modified.The 1929’s should have a one piece rack with brackets so as to lay it flat to carry the trunk or to move back to where it sits in a slightly slanted somewhat vertical position.

I will go to the body shop and snap a few pics. The two pieces of the rack are held together by a single chrome plate. The rack acts as a single rack. Other two pice racks have a chrome plate that flexes in the middle. Mine does not.

A 1931 had a wrack that had brackets on the back side that absorbed the extra space and attached to the loops on top of the gas tank.

Mine being the incorrect rack has crossed my mind.

My thoughts are perhaps the original rack got hit in an accident so the owner years ago went to a wrecking yard and found a rack that would work even though it might not be original.I believe I have a photo of the rack on my 133 that was taken with my Konica head on so to speak.I will try to find it,scan it and send.Finding one though is another matter.There was also a nice article in the CCCA “Classic Car” I believe on a prize winning

1929 Pierce Arrow Tonneau Cowl Phaeton and this same car was featured in Vol.6 no.8 “Automobile Quarterly” when owned by Al Rodway.The Classic Car I believe was a 1976 issue.I would check with the Classic Car Museum at Hickory Corners,Michigan.

Rick,

Here is a photo of the trunk rack on my 1929 Pierce Arrow Sport Roadster.The rack has its original wood strips with nickel plated trim strips.

I also have a photo of my car with trunk in place and in this case the rack hinges up flat with the support straps attached to the upper holes.

The trunk when in place does protrude over the bumper a bit.It sounds to me like yours was changed for some reason.The position of the rack that is shown in the photos is what would be the case when the trunk is not in use.There should be a center clamp on the rear bumper which was not in place when this photo was taken.It is a bit smaller than the end clamps.

The style of yr 29 rack is identicsl to mine but two pieces. The holes in thr rack are the same shape.

Several kind people have sent many photos. So many configurations configurations from 29 to 31. Its amazing.

I am beginibg to think it might have been replaced with one hesitation. The paint on the rack mayched body paint fade exactly. WHO %$#%??? KNOWS LOLOL

The rack on the Al Rodway/Jim Ladd 1929 Tonneau cowl Phaeton is identical to the one on my car.It is on page 254 of Automobile Quaterly Vol.6 #8.I will this page copied and I can then scan it for you.This Phaeton was a very complete car when purchased out of the Lars Anderson

Museum in the 1960’s.Many automobile trunk racks were black in those days.

It is also possible the original owner wanted to have a two piece rack for some reason and had the dealer fit one to your car.To be on the safe side,I would suggest trying to find the one piece type or have one made but these were a stamping so fabrication will take some work.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.