1936 Pierce 1601 Club Sedan at Upcoming Mecom Auction

Home Page Forums General 1936 Pierce 1601 Club Sedan at Upcoming Mecom Auction

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author

The final bid was $39,102. I wonder if it has a new owner and possibly was bought by a PAS member?

I’m a new member, and hopefully, upon my retirement in a few years, will be buying my first Pierce. I really appreciate the info that is available here on this site, and hope it will keep me from getting burned on buying a vehicle. There is a 1934 Pierce 12 for sale right now at Volo, IL, but at the moment I would have no where to put it! For the next couple of years I just want to keep my eye on things and hopefully get a winner. Thanks for all of the info.

Hi Kenneth, your approach is sound. Spending a few years watching condition/price of these cars as they come available will be very helpful to you judging a ‘winner’.

Welcome to the club!

John

Thanks John, I have to share a really funny Pierce Arrow story. Due to a reorganization, I now work for a center based out of Buffalo, in the Larkin Building, right down the street from the Pierce Arrow Museum. I had never had a chance to visit the museum until last September due to travel times and the museum’s hours. Since this center is based in Buffalo, I jokingly told them that since we are now Buffalo based, they should get me a Pierce Arrow work car, and could save some money by looking around in government warehouses and getting me J. Edgar Hoover’s old limo. I never had a clue that the shot up hulk of the car was right down the street! The whole office cracked up when I sent them pics of the car. Guess I’ll have to buy my own now!

Kenneth, you will get lots of attention in a PA car in Buffalo, guaranteed!

Just out of curiosity, how much would an overhaul of an engine like that run? Just for future reference.

Greg Long gave an estimate in an earlier post of $15K to $25K depending on overall engine condition.

I believe the 15K to 25K engine overhaul is correct, if you don’t have personal contacts in the business. I believe those are the “drop it off and call me when it’s ready to go” numbers.

I’ve had straight eight engines rebuilt (Packard and Pierce) for well under 10K, but I have friends who help me, and I help them, on restorations. It really pays to have a good network of craftsman. I also do some of the reassembly myself.

The high cost of excellent mechanical restoration makes buying a “restored” car somewhat of a crapshoot, unless you really know who was involved in the work.

A correct total rebuild with all the bolt on’ done with correct chrome and all new parts would run 50k. New Pistons,rings,pins,valves,springs,guides,rod and main bearings, cam bearings,gaskets, and machine work would run 25k today in a professional restoration shop. Cislak has three motors he is doing over for people now with low end rebuilds that failed. One of the main bearings had 27 thousands clearance. But the price was good! I very much liked how they had San blasted the Pistons to clean them…..they even left some sand in the motor. It’s 2016………..car work is getting very expensive………even Duesenberg owners car trying to save money, I spent a few days this week sorting one out that was done by a great post war engine rebuilder. Do you want to hear a sad story?

Do tell, Ed.

I agree with Ed that restoration work is very expensive these days, and if you’re paying someone by the hour, think about it and remember how little actually gets done in an hour. Paying for restoration is not for the faint of heart nor the light of pocketbook.

My comments were directed at a bare block, no accessories nor chrome. We all know what chrome costs are, exceedingly high. For starters and generators, I’ve found a fellow in my area who does great work, and for about a hundred bucks apiece they are as new.

On my ’31 phaeton, I had John C. rebuild the carb and the fuel pump. Oh my, what a difference, the car runs so much better than it did before, his comments about that are true, not hype. Yes, it costs, but in my mind great value for the money.

At his suggestion, I used David’s rebuilder. Works out of his house. As an electrical engineer, I am very picky, and his work is top notch. Once you find someone, stick with them and pay what they ask, it is usually worth it. Same for the radiators. Many folks paint the heck out of them with high gloss enamel, then wonder why the engines overheat…

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.