CCCA New England Caravan.

Home Page Forums General CCCA New England Caravan.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

We spent the last 10 days driving through New Hampshire and Maine. A great event. 110 cars, two were Pierce Arrow’s. My 1936 1602 Club Sedan, and John Shibles 1933 Coupe.

I attended the Hew Hampshire Glidden tour last week, it was based in North Conway NH.

We had two Pierce Arrows attending: Wade Smith’s 1913 48hp runabout, And my 1925 Series80 7pass Touring.

We had a wonderful time, it rained on Wednesday afternoon for a few hours. Unfortunately that was the window of time that our tour was at the Mt Washington Hotel for lunch. I wanted to drive around to the east side of Mt. Washington and climb the ‘Auto Road’ to the summit of Mt Washington..

I checked with the Concierge in the hotel, and the very helpful lady looked online and read me the report from the weather station at the summit: 60mph winds, gusting to 75mph, 40*F with windchill around 20*F.. We decided that this was NOT the day to climb to the summit..

The next day dawned with a crystal clear blue sky, we drove east into Maine, and visited the Bahre Car Collection, it’s a significant collection of very special cars, but unfortunately, not a single Pierce Arrow in sight.. Afterwards, I decided that was THE day to climb the Auto Road to the summit of Mt Washington. So headed north then west. All driving in New Hampshire and western Maine is predicated on getting around mountain ranges.

In 1998 or 99 I drove my 1933 836 up the Auto Road, and was plagued with frequent stops to relieve fuel vapor lock, and let the engine coolant temperature drop.

But this time, with my 1925 Series 80 Touring, the climb was uninterrupted, I used 2nd gear for most of the climb, but had to drop into 1st and 1st-overdrive once we encountered narrower roadways and much tighter turns.

Upon returning to the hotel after another 25 miles at roughly 50-55mph, I checked the engine coolant level: it took only one pint of water to return the level to where I keep it.. It appears that the Series 80 is a great mountain climbing car.

The Glidden tour had 174 cars attending, it is a really fun tour. This year’s is our 3rd Glidden Tour.

Greg Long

We were looking forward to meeting up with the tour Greg was on, but for some reason it didn’t work out. I drove my V-12 up the mountain on Saturday, 79 degrees at the bottom, 42 at the top. It was clear as a bell. Biggest problem was LOTS of traffic on the hill. Photo enclosed at 5200 feet up, just where the tree line starts to drop off.

Photo above the tree line.

And now Pierce owners on the other side of the world can put a face to Ed Minnie II !!!!! Good to meet you!

Jak.

Ed that’s a beautiful car, and a beautiful shade of blue! Thanks for sharing!

Ed’s car is a wonderful touring car-go for a ride with him if you have the chance!

John

Heck, scientists have now said they’ve accidently discovered a new shade of blue.

I think Ed found it a number of years ago! Great car, owned by a pretty darned nice guy, considering!

http://hellogiggles.com/shade-blue-gorgeous/

Here is a better photo of me. I’m on the right side, sorry about the Packard!

Nice hat Ed!

What a handsome devil!

Brushes up well does he not?

perhaps we should have an entire section of ed Minnie pictures, and…he could add a couple of new ones each day.

I’ll drink to that AND, How ’bout some more PA pictures (at random) of course.

Good day all. I guess since I have harassed Ed I had better submit a photo of our PA. The Ladies are the “Andrews Sisters”” & the car is not quite “”Ëd Blue”””

Jak,

Nice gams on those Ladies.

ERR, oh yeah, nice Pierce-Arrow. HA!

I love women in uniforms, and what are their service units, armor, special forces, paratroopers, what?

Now, we need a photo of the Jak in a hat, not a cat in the hat, or a Jak in the box.

Peter

BTW Jak,

Don’t you people from OZ drive on the left (wrong) side of the road, so your Pierce-Arrow is backwards for the roads?

Peter

Wow, gams, yep, that’s what they are, but ask a young’un these days to tell you what gams are and you’ll get the “you’re an old guy” stare!

Ya know, it’s probably good to have a left hand drive in a right hand drive world, at least you’re far as you can be from the crazy guy in the approaching lane! As far as women in uniforms, Peter, methinks you might be a bit obsessed, but in a good way……

Gams is a good olde yankee term learnt by we Aussies when the US troops were here in Brisbane during WW2. The Ladies are in some sort of US WW2 uniform. I am sure that Peter should be able to carefully research this!!

Yes we drive backwards on the LHS of the road

but with LH steering I could judge passing bicycles to the inch! Then last year they changed the law & now I have to give them 1.5 meters clearance! DRAT!! just when I was having fun! Photo of Jak

So I have brought out the big guns—Jak is in the middle. The Lady is the Minister for Finance & War! And to think that this thread started out with Ed in New England!!!

Jak,

We can’t expand the picture enough to see your mug or your garb, but you look quite distinguished. By the way, I have never seen a Pierce with such a large barrel installed on it. It is a testament to the quality of the suspension components provided by our favorite Buffalo car manufacturer. How does your generator handle the number of lights on the front of your car?

Great to hear from you again!

Bob

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.