front floor mat for open cars, 1931, other years?

Home Page Forums Body front floor mat for open cars, 1931, other years?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Just another thought. I also have a 31 Studebaker President Roadster which

has a beautiful reproduced mat. It sounds pretty close to your needs and except for the logo the same in design. I assume they are sold through the

Stude Club. Mine came with the car as purchased. A number of the other parts

on the car are pretty close to the 31 Pierce.

Need to drop one of the http:

Here is a pic

No, they are not like those…that’s just a little rectangular mat that’s 20 inches or so – the mat I’m discussing is shaped like the front floor, and much more complicated….

I’ll see if I can find out about the Studebaker connection…thanks

The open car cowls are not all the same, thus you must be sure to figure out how to make it fit roadsters, four/five passenger touring, seven pass touring, and convertiable sedan. The area around the transmission needs to be figured out, to see if 29,30, and 31are the same……I don’t think they are. There might need to be slight modifications for different years, or a compromise to make a one unit fits all………….I would take one for my Series 42 Sport Pheaton if it fits…….Ed

I thought I had heard that the ED Limos had a smaller driver’s area (less space between the seat and the steering wheel) than the non-limo cars.

I haven’t driven any other ’29 cars so I can’t say if this holds true or not.

Would a ’31 Series 43 5-passenger sedan have a rubber mat in front and carpet in the rear, as original?

The cowls and toe boards according to my research in the 133-143 parts book which covers the 1929 models appear to be the same for the roadster,the tonneau cowl Phaeton,the phaeton and the 143 touring car.The same toe board appears to be used on the closed cars.For some reason,the 1930 parts book is less detailed and it would be interesting to know what shows up in the 1931 parts book as to the front floor mat.If someone with a 1929 open car that is undergoing restoration where everything is accessible so exact measurements can be taken,that could be a start and a point from which to work with perhaps more than one person on this job.Juat an idea!Even a paper template could be made.

The Studebaker President mats are no longer being made, I’ve been told by a Studebaker parts dealer.

I’m going to work with the fellow from Utah, will take mat out next week, this week trying to get everything ready for Grand Classic in Gettysburg..

Thanks for all the input dc

Last night I went out to the garage and looked at the front mat.

The entire assembly is actually 3 pieces.

The largest piece is the main mat that covers almost the entire floor area.

Next, there is a separate piece that covers the openings for the shifter and hand brake.

And there is also a small piece that covers the area where the steering column and the pedals come through the floor.

I need to grab a camera and take some pictures next time.

Craig, that sounds correct. The two small pieces are, I believe, available from Steele rubber, although the ones available may be the later style. I’ve never known of a large repro mat being available for the Pierce, though.

Craig,

Yes,there are three pieces to the mat assembly those being as you mentioned the piece that goes around the steering column and pedals,then the piece that goes around the shifter and hand brake.As of this date,the piece going around the hand brake and shifter is available from Karl Krouch with the steering column piece I believe available from Steele.The gear shift piece is available from Steele but it is for the 1930-1931 models and does not have the metal plate in it like the originals and Karl’s as used on the 1929’s.It is the main floor mat that is the needed item.

Steele has the steering column floorplate listed as fitting 29 – 32 cars.

Cost is $174.90 on their website.

Their gearshift floorplate is listed as fitting 1931 only.

Cost is $174.90 as well.

http://www.steelerubber.com/steering-column-floorplate-17-0004-36

OK, back to the top, I finally removed the floor mat from my ’31 phaeton and started taking measurements. It looks simple but has a lot of details.

Here is picture of my mat, and a drawing of rough dimensions in the next post.

I already have one other person who wants a mat. If you’re interested, measure your car and see if this mat fits.

It has a lip on in all the way around that’s 7/8 inch wide. One option is to make this lip wider so it could be trimmed to fit other cars.

If you need me to make you a template, please email me and I’ll send you one.

thanks David C.

OK, here’s drawing….

OK, back to the top, I finally removed the floor mat from my ’31 phaeton and started taking measurements. It looks simple but has a lot of details.

Here is picture of my mat, and a drawing of rough dimensions in the next post.

I already have one other person who wants a mat. If you’re interested, measure your car and see if this mat fits.

It has a lip on in all the way around that’s 7/8 inch wide. One option is to make this lip wider so it could be trimmed to fit other cars.

If you need me to make you a template, please email me and I’ll send you one.

thanks David C.

Bottom outside dimension, to tips, is 39-3/4″. It was cut off on scan. The 1-1/2″ recess at the bottom is to wrap around the seat base front. Remember the reference lines top and bottom are just that, so that there’s a fixed point to measure to and from.

Any questions please email [email protected] , or you can call me at 540-5332885 and listen to me bore you to death. Ummm, I mean, discuss all great things automotive…

The 1929 parts manual lists p/n 731740 mat, rubber, front floor on page 120. It is not included in any matrix which would limit its application. Could it have been used in all models (open & closed)?

I do not see any mention of the front floor mat in the 1930 parts manual. I do not have the 1931 manual to look at.

David,

What is the part number for the floor mat in the 1931 Series 43 parts book? It could be that 1929-1931 is the same.

I don’t have a copy of parts book for 1931. I think the AACA library has one, will get a copy…

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.