front floor mat for open cars, 1931, other years?

Home Page Forums Body front floor mat for open cars, 1931, other years?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Hi David, I would be interested in one for my 1931 model 43. I have carpet in mine but I am a firm believer in purchasing parts when they become availible. As you know we have the same car.

David,

It would help a great deal if you can get a floormat part number from the 1931 parts book which can be checked with the 1929 number.I do have your template and will attempt to place it flat over the existing carpet and see how all lines up.I have just been swamped with business and other stuff But I am hoping to get to it this weekend.I need to be very careful not to tear the template.

Bill

I ordered a copy of the 1931 parts book from the AACA library. I’ve gone through it twice, and can find NO mention of a front floor mat.

So, that seems to be a dead end, unless I’ve totally missed it, or someone has a different parts book.

I have the mat on my work table, and next week plan to do a very detailed drawing and discuss with vendor out west who can make.

Kirk, you’re on my list now, thanks, yes, that’s a beautiful 43 you have….

David,

The 1929 book is very detailed down to little screws but the 1930 book is not and it look like 1931 is not.Assuming your car and my 1929 Roadster use the same mat,I would certainly want to get one of the new ones.I will jump on this tomorrow and see how the template fits and let you know.I also have a 1933 Chiltons flat rate with lots of parts listings for 1927-1933 automobiles and see if it lists floormats.

David, how is the full floor mat project coming along? If you are taking names to get an idea how many to make, I will buy one for my 30 Model B Convertible Coupe. Karl

I have not been able to find a part number that would show how the floor mat would cross over to 1929-1930-1931.I know with the open cars,the bodies seem quite similar between these years.I am certainly interested in getting a new correct mat even if a little trimming is needed.Better to make it larger and trim then to make it too small as it is impossible to add material.

I’ve contacted a couple of companies about making a run of at least 10 mats, but so far no one has given me a quote.

I sent them much more detailed drawings and still no word.

The “modern” method of reproducing this mat involves getting a 3-D electronic drawing, then having a CNC machine work on a large plate to make the mold.

One gentleman has been helping me try to find a manufacturer, if anyone has any ideas let me know. thanks David C.

Is there any news about producing front floor rubber mats? I could be interested in one for my 1930 Pheaton.

We’ve struck out with a couple of suppliers, who first said they could make them, and then backed out saying no.

Still looking for someone who can fabricate them at a reasonable cost.

At Hershey in 1991 I took these pics (see also next) of a 1930 pheaton. Most likely its original.

Outside and rear. See also next pic..

Here is the car. I do not know who owns it now. May be you know.

This project now has new life.

After being rejected by a couple of fabricators, am now in discussions with a gentleman who has made 30’s Buick floor mats, and I understand his work is excellent.

At the risk of boring readers, I’ll keep everyone updated as discussions progress….thanks D.C.

David,

I still have the template you sent me and if it is not too cold this weekend I will try to lay it down on the floor of my 1929 Roadster and see how it fits.I got tied up with a bunch of business stuff around the time you sent it.I certainly want to get one of these new mats if it will fit.

Yes, please let me know. If it’s “close”, then I’ve already talked to the fellow about adding an inch around the border, so people could trim to fit. His first comment was, “better add two inches!”…

Since I now own another 1929 open car, I’m interested in one of these floor mats..

Thanks for your perseverance David !!

If you can, bring several of the new floor mats to the June Annual meet. The Crossroads of America meet in NE Indiana !

Greg Long

Great, thanks, Greg…..

Now I have a DEADLINE!! Sheesh…..

In case I wasn’t clear, I just want to make sure I am on the list for the front mat.

I still have the original one that is getting more brittle every year.

Thanks Craig, you’re on the list! That’s the problem with mine, the original has become more and more fragile, or more correctly brittle as you state, and is coming apart.

As soon as I hear from this new fabricator will let everyone know, I this point he sounds encouraging, he was actually sick with the flu when I contacted him so he’s waiting to feel better to review drawings and specifications.

thanks dc

Thanks Craig, you’re on the list! That’s the problem with mine, the original has become more and more fragile, or more correctly brittle as you state, and is coming apart.

As soon as I hear from this new fabricator will let everyone know, I this point he sounds encouraging, he was actually sick with the flu when I contacted him so he’s waiting to feel better to review drawings and specifications.

thanks dc

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.