Locating serial numbers for Engine block and chassis on the ’33 Model 836 Brougham

Home Page Forums General Locating serial numbers for Engine block and chassis on the ’33 Model 836 Brougham

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author

I’m have trouble locating the chassis serial number and engine block serial number.

I’ve been told the chassis serial number plate should be located on the chassis rail just behind the front right wheel. All I see there are holes. Is this the correct location? It’s possible it was not reinstalled during the restoration. If that’s the case is there someone you can recommend that can make up a reproduction for me?

I’m told the block serial number is on the drivers side of the block in the centre just below the head gasket but in that side there is a sheet metal cover bolted there. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian, you have the right place for the serial number plate, but check the other side in the same spot too.

You’ve got the correct location to find the engine number-it might need a bit of scraping. It should start 23XXXX

Hi John, would the engine serial number be under that steel cover or on it? I’m assuming thats a valve cover?

I’ve checked both sides for the chassis tag. It seems to be absent. Any ideas on where to have a replacement made up?

thanks

Hi Brian, the engine number is above the bolted on sheet metal water manifold. Look for a 2″ long by 1/2″ high flat area just below the head gasket. The numbers can be hard to read, but are stamped into the flat spot.

In metric: 50mm long 13mm high.

Greg Long

Hi Brian, the number is stamped on a pad that’s part of the cast iron block. The steel cover I’m aware of on that side of the block is the ‘water jacket cover’. It extends most of the length of the block in the horizontal and has many bolts holding it in place-it doesn’t block seeing the number stamped in the block. I bet if you look again and rub steel wool or stand paper at the location you described, it will begin to show.

Serial number tags are available through the CCCA for about $30. I’ve seen the same repro tag on Ebay for $150! Maybe someone on the board has a spare blank they can sell you.

All the best-John

Greg, Thanks for the picture! That really helps! I’ll check it out tomorrow.

Can you send me a picture of the chassis or body serial number plate? I’m especially interested in the dimensions of it.

John thanks for the info…the search continues. I’ll see if I can find where on the CCCA site to order a tag. Are they screwed on or riveted?

Brian,

Classic Car Club of Southern California, c/o Steve Snyder, (Vault Classic Cars) 1164 E. Elm Ave, Fullerton Ca. 92831 Jim

Thanks Jim! Hoping to see what the tag looks like, what the dimensions of it are and how it’s fastened to the chassis.

There is a picture of the serial number tag in the Identification Guide page here on the PAS website.

Scroll all the way to the bottom to see an example.

https://pierce-arrow.org/idguide/SerialNumberLocations.php

Excellent info Jim and Craig! Brian, the original used small rivets to fasten it in place.

Brian: here ya go:

Greg Long

Wow that tag is a work of art! I was thinking it was just a number plate. Are blank ones with all that info on it available out there? Thanks folks! The adventure continues….

Brian; look above at the post from jim livings. he provides the address and contact info for buying a blank reproduction number tag.

Greg Long

Thanks everyone! I found the serial number. On my car the oil temp regulator unit is directly in front of it.

Thanks for the links to the Vault cars website link. I’ll give them a call in the morning.

Is there by chance a production log of the chassis number and engine pairings? The chassis number I have on the original 1933 bill of sale but I just wanted to cross check it.

Brian, I see a 23xxxx engine number-that’s correct for the car-nice!

Brian: look at a PAS paper roster, the chassis numbers and engine numbers are listed for most listed cars. This is far from being a factory inventory, but it will give you some insight to your numbers.

Greg Long

The vehicle register shows engine number 235534 in car with VIN 1070480. The history shows that this car came from Harrahs.

Paul, thanks for the VIN confirmation I’m glad it matched.

Been trying to get an answer back from Steve from Vaultcars.com for a couple days now for a chassis tag but no reply to emails or phone. Hope he’s ok.

Anyone know of anyone else that might offer one? It’s actually holding up the potential sale of the car.

Thanks everybody for helping me get this straightened out. This is a great group of folks!

Calif. region of the CCCA has them for sale. go to the web site for the info. PIERCE-ARROW SERIAL NUMBER PLATE. 5-3/8” x 3-1/4”. Black and aluminum. Blank space to stamp serial number. Product #653 – $25 each. Duplicates of originals. Photo of item at http://www.vaultcars.com. Include 15% S&H. CA residents add 8% Sales tax. PAYABLE TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA REGION CCCA.  For Paypal add 3%. Vault Classic Cars, 1164 E. Elm Ave, Fullerton, CA 92831.

La Vine Restorations also sells them if you can not get Vault Cars to reply copy and paste below

http://www.pulferandwilliams.com/Pierce-Arrow/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.