Motorette engine, man, am I happy!

Home Page Forums General Motorette engine, man, am I happy!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author

I’ve been sitting on this little piece of news, I was able to acquire a “lost to Pierce guys” Motorette engine.

It came out of a marine engine collection in New Hampshire, and while it may have seen marine use at one time, the fellow had no interest in keeping it.

It’s temporarily parked at Ed Minnie’s place, he’s bringing it to me in March, unless I can’t stand it and figure out a sooner way to get it here!

Pierce casting on side, the “6” supposedly refers to horsepower. Very low 10X three digit serial number, so maybe a late 1903? Anyone who might know more about these early engines please comment.

David, Wow what a find, you don,t see these every day….Ed

It’s a very nice engine, and it runs. I sure hope it doesn’t get lost between Ludlow Mass and Winchester Virginia!

Thanks, Ed, I’ve always wanted a Motorette, but think they’re out of my price range right now. I started pursuing this Pierce engine almost a year ago, and finally was able to acquire it….not the holy grail, but a rare piece of history.

Ed has verified it’s a 1903, although the serial number doesn’t seem to match the current records on this site for 6 cylinder engines….

Wow, other Ed, you must have been typing the very second I was replying to the OTHER Ed!

Remember, Ed M., it’s IN TRANSIT to me, it can’t grow roots at your place!!

Very nice find, especially it being in running condition.

Congrats on your new piece of Pierce history.

Guess I’m gushing, I’ve been working on buying this engine for about a year. In fact, my first contact with owner was in January 2016, he’d bought a collection of marine engines in late 2015 and wasn’t familiar with this “oddball”. Everything just seemed to come together in the last couple of weeks, even though I would have bet odds that I didn’t stand a chance. And, of course, as Ed and I have discussed, it’s best keeping these things tight to the vest until one’s grubby little hands are holding it tight!

I’m just happy another piece of Pierce history is now known to us. Keep looking, one never knows what’s going to show up out there! As Ed knows, I’m working now with an individual who has two pieces of Pierce memorabilia that are exceptionally unusual, hopefully something will come of that also!

Hi David, congratulations on finding and acquiring the Motorette engine !!

Now, it seems like it’s time to plan a trip up here to the Gilmore museum, with camera measuring tape, and several flashlights, and spend a day measuring and photographing the Motorette in the Museum!! When I was looking at one a few years back, it struck me that they were not terribly complicated, and if you wanted to, you could fabricate a descent facsimile of a Motorette chassis and body..

You might want to wait till late August, and bring your ’31 Pierce and come to the Gathering too !!

If you START on making a chassis, ‘Murphy’s Law’, corollary #5 will prevail, and a Motorette chassis and body, will show up for sale.. !!

Greg Long

Greg, thanks, I’ve had the same thought….I think the transmission and rear end are the tough parts, after the engine…if anyone has pieces laying around, let me know!

I have a good friend in Pennsylvania who runs a small restoration shop, specializing in very early cars. He took one look at the engine picture and asked “When are we starting to build the car?””!!!”

Dave, when can I go for a ride? :-)

David

I know how exciting that is to find a rare piece like that and chase it, only to win at the end and actually get to own it. Congratulations. If your goal is to have a complete Motorette I would encourage you to be very patient and strive to gather original parts as much as you can. There are some “built-up”” cars out there that really challenge the question….When is it a real Pierce and when is it a copy or fabricated replica ? I believe it will cost as much money and time to put together a real Pierce as it would a replica. Obviously the real thing has greater value and resale than the replica. I’ve found it you put a project like this out to the PAS….our people all are looking for the parts you need and you get tremendous support and help. I’ll keep a lookout for any parts I can find for you….”

Unless I could come up with the other major pieces pretty soon, I think this engine is destined to sit on a display stand during my life time. I can’t imagine there are many Motorette/Stanhope “pieces” out there, but one never knows.

Time is a factor, if I were 20 years younger I’d probably already be bending the frame tubes, but now, time’s not really on my side. I was just looking at my membership renewal, I’ve been in the PAS for 40 years, what a great club (uh, excuse me, Society!) it is!

David

Can I be first in line as the next caretaker ? Although I’m sure there are others ahead of me. It would be a fun project to get it set up on a stand that would allow it to just sit there and put-put along. What a great display for an annual meet, etc. Don’t give up hope…..with the generation ahead of us getting too old to deal with the stuff they have hidden from the scrap drives of the wars…..parts like that are coming out into the light after many years. Keep us abreast of how this progresses….its a very worthy venture.

Thanks for nice comments, Richard…yes, it would be a neat display! As you mention, at this point you’re fourth on the list for people who’ve asked about engine, you on, others off, the forum. It’s not for sale, I have a passion for Geo. N. Pierce stuff, and I’ll be hugging this thing for a while!

One more history lesson that I got today, thought I’d pass it along.

The fellow who had this engine, had it running on a Model T carburetor. He said he sent the “original” carb with the engine, but Ed was convinced it was a later Holley carb.

In 1901, the Holley brothers went to Paris, France, and came back with the rights to manufacture and sell Longuemare (a French brand) carbs. They did so, all the while making and trying to market their own “Holley” motorette. Henry Ford came to them at some point, and convinced them to build carbs for him, and thus the brothers gave up the idea of making an automobile and put all their efforts into a carburetor company, and of course, the rest is well known.

Turns out that Don Silbert, who owns a 1903 6 HP Stanhope, verified that this is, indeed, a carb original to this engine. He indicates to me that they are a little more than rare to find.

So now, I’m even happier, if that’s possible! Thanks to Don for the info.

Can’t seem to post picture, you can see carb laying in a box in the above picture featuring Ed and the engine!

Don’t let David fool you, if it wasn’t for the fact that the motor is unmolsted, has all it’s original hardware, shows no sign of damage or abuse, runs, and is overall one of the neatest Pierce items I have ever come across, it’s OK!😛

Another photo of the Carb.

Another…….

Last one…….. to be honest, thiis thing is terrific! It’s gonna be hard to let it go, I am quite sure it would look much better in my living room than his……..maybe if I ask his wife which location she would rather see it in? Poor Dave, I have been busting his chops ever since the engine arrived. Ed.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.