Paint colors

Home Page Forums Body Paint colors

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Author

I was originly was going to reskin the leather trunk to match the body. The upholstry man as well as the luggage man said that would be a mistake. I heeded their warraning. I went with the jet black as it always had been.

Fellow members,I have many car trunks for sale. Time to downsize. 1920’s-mid 30’s. Various sizes. Metal and leather/pantasote covered. If interested, let me know the L & W of your trunk rack. I may have what you need, or if you want to upgrade your current trunk on your P-A or other make car. Thanks, Jim

There’s an interesting question.

Did any Pierce leave the factory with a trunk attached?

I’ve always thought the factory supplied the rack, the dealer or an aftermarket supplier supplied the trunk.

Thus, there’s really no such thing as a Pierce trunk.

Is that the case?

There is such a thing as a correct Pierce trunk. Many dealers used an after market supply company instead of the trunks offered by the factory supply system. I have paper work showing the Boston dealer having his own lap robes made for six dollars less then the dealer robes. Car dealers were cheap back then as they still are today. Interestingly, I have purchased several Pierce cars over the years and they had a Packard trunk on them. My series 42 came to me that way. I am sure someone can post a photo of the dealer supplied trunk.

The 1929 1930 Pierce Factory Accessories Catalogue Show several different trunks sold through Pierce.

I’ve been told the trunk on my car is correct, it’s a Steel-Kraft. I do not know this for a fact, but do know that it fits the factory trunk rack perfectly, it’s the same dimensions.

The 1929 catalogue says—-& I quote “Trunks are furnished as standard equipment for the 133-inch wheelbase Sport Phaeton, Club Brougham & Club Sedan”.

Further to my last missive. My 1929 Club Brougham trunk is not fitted to a trunk rack but permanently bolted to the rear panel over the fuel tank. This I believe to be standard.

It seems to me that we’re discussing two different things on the trunks here.

A trunk that’s part of the body design, and bolted or mounted directly to the body or frame of the car as Jak mentions, would come from the factory.

A trunk that mounts on a factory supplied trunk rack, and is removable (which was the original point of such a trunk, it was packed and then removed as a whole for a family’s stay at a hotel or away from home), probably was an after market purchase, from a dealer or otherwise.

I don’t believe that Pierce made any removable trunks at their factory, and if a car did leave the factory with a removable trunk, it was sourced from another manufacturer.

Hi all,

If there was a standard trunk by pierce, it was not the only option. In the accessory catalog, it indicates there are several “custom” turnk to go with enclosed as well as open cars. As David pointed out, these are for cars that do not have the trunks that are design into the body lines of the. These are the trunks for the wracks. There are trunks that are empty and those with custom luggage in differant configurations. There are also truly custom trunks. I assume they are referring to the contents of the trunk (confuguration of your luggage) as well. As you all know, you can anything you want, as long as you have the color green to back it up. :)

This 32 obviously was designed with the trunk that melded into the body lines and came from the factory.

Hi all,

If there was a standard trunk by pierce, it was not the only option. In the accessory catalog, it indicates there were several “custom” trunks to go with enclosed as well as open cars. As David pointed out, these are for cars that do not have the trunks that are design into the body lines of the car itself. These are the trunks for the wracks. Trunks came empty or with custom luggage in differant configurations. There are also truly custom. As you all know, you could order anything you want, as long as you have the color green to back it up. :)

The second picture down is the trunk that I am using on my 29. I have seen exact models on other 29s, 30-31 and 32.

My leather guy is creating a configuration that will acomodate some luggage as well as the pierce Vacuum and Fire extinguisher.

I was a bit surprised that when searching for a trunk, this was on the smaller size. Some of these are substantially larger. Mine is about 16 deep and 34 wide. This size leaves about an inch of the wrack to show.

p.s. Whoever owns that two tone blue 32. I love it! That is a way cool car. :)

Hi Rick, I have been reading your posts and following you car as it moves along the trail to hit the road in the happy trails it has been hoping to travel for some now. It is a great car and I think it found a great owner who cares a great deal about its future and how you two are going to make this work? :) As many here wonder about paint colors, If you Sir, will forgive me opinion on Colors? . Dark grays and Black for the body and fenders will look just fine. Big White wall tires matching color wheels to the leather color of your picking of the seats will make the old lady smile . Best regards Richard.

Hi Richard

The car will have massive white walls and as the option catlalog printed it, “chromium plated wheels”. I have the dark color for the top, fenders and reveal selected. Im still down to two for the contrasting color of the body and interior. The interior will not be the same color as the top. Way too hard to get an exact match.

The front end will be quite bright. All the orignal lights will be going back on the car. Trip lights, parking lights, head lights, fog light. I know some people remove some because it is too busy. I happen to like all those lights. There will also be an original Loraine drivers side spot light, with Pierce brass tag on it. The aposite side will have a running board spot. thanks to KK, It will have the chrome side mount tire mounting locks. As well as the side mount tire mirrors. A set of running board courtesy lights are there as well. (thanks Pete).

Few other things: Orignal liscense plates from 29, Original radio, mounted to fire wall and control head mounted to steeing colum. I have an original leather open car lap robe with the Original custom pierce stitching from chase. An original foot warmer for the back. Original and corect, North East hot head lighter. (thanks again pete) Wind wings front and rear. Longer enclosed wings on the rear.

Im sure I am forgetting all sorts of things. Just ask if your curious. loloolol Except for color ofcourse. :)

My goal is to make this car opra classy and not heading off to the country for a pic nic. I actually like the canary yellow 29’DC I have seen many pics of. However, it looks like it is going out for a country pic nic or county fair musical. I am looking for a more elegant apearance.

Thank you for all the opinions. I just had to get acalmaited to such an overwhelming response to color choice. I was overwhelmed with the hard core purest at one end, all the way to the “dosen’t matter , paint what you want” on the toher. After I thought about it AlOT, I think all the opinions have there place and a few things stand out to me.

1. Keep the design and elegance of the Pierce as clean and 29 as you can.

2. Never Paint a 29 with metalic or the club will show up with bows and arrows…………….and a rope.

3. Enjoy your car, choose a color you love but accents the cars original beauty.

4, The most important……..Have fun!

Rick

No.4 is the MOST IMPORTANT!!!—All the others pale into insignificance!!

jak.

Sounds like you’re well on your way to get it accessorized to your taste!

Personal opinion only, the thing I’d leave off is the running board mounted spotlight. It serves no purpose and affects the lines/appearance of that side of the car, and would have been a very unusual addition to what would have been on the car in the time period.

Color matching can be a challenge! Good luck with it!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.