Radiator Emblem

Home Page Forums General Radiator Emblem

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Great looking project. It looks like you are making good progress. Thanks for the photos. Dave

Charles,

I understand that your truck has the same engine in it as Series 80 cars.

That is useful to know when it comes to hunting for parts.

Oh, does it have a cast-iron or an aluminum cylinder head?

If cast-iron, then Series 80, if aluminum, then Series 81.

Peter

Peter,

It is a series 81 with aluminum head, I am ready to fire it up but for some reason the pictures didnt come through. I tried to attach it again and hopefully it will come through this time.

If we had a modern database you would have no trouble posting pictures. Our website has fabulous content, but will not accept photos in what is now the current standard. I hope that this will be corrected soon as your Board of Directors allocated $10,000 and established a committee to address these and other issues of the 21st century. I hope we see results at the February Board Meeting.

Dave Stevens

Charles,

To make a photo smaller, I open it with PREVIEW (maybe just a MAC program?) and then go to the dropdown that offers “RESIZE.””

I then change one of the numbers to be at approximately 40% of the original and the program automatically proportionately sizes it.

It is not a big deal.

Peter

Windows 10 has a program called Photo Galley.

Open the picture in Photo Gallery, click the Edit tab at the top and then select Resize.

I resized the photos, sent five successfully, than the last two would not go for some reason. I will try it again once I’m by my computer, right now I’m working off fmy phone

This photo size is just over 550 pixels wide, im giving it a try.

I don’t know how expensive it would be, but if you contact an emblem restorer named Karla Maxwell and can supply her high resolution pictures with the dimensions she can reproduce it. Several years ago she made a one-off reproduction of a 1908 Chalmers-Detroit emblem from pictures of one in my collection and it was exceptionally good. Look her up online, as I recall her website was worth the visit and her work was outstanding.

Thanks Peter I will be sure to look her up.

Pardon me, thanks Mark

Here is the link. Nice looking work, Karl http://www.maxwellenamels.com/Home_Page.html

She is very responsive and creative.

I agree her work is incredible, the reproduction of the CD emblem was flawless and it would take a very experienced collector to know it wasn’t genuine – something I worry about every time I see a very scarce and expensive emblem for sale!

David,

I have sent my badge to Karla for restoration but she has not recieved it yet and she is wondering if the originals were plated. She asked i reach out to see if you see any signs of plating on yours? I did not have any on mine and i dont think it was plated but she wants to be as accurate as possible. Also, she was wondering if there are any written Pierce Arrow Judging standards so if anyone has any information it would be great?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, mine is plated. Mine could very well be a reproduction, I’m not specifically aware of any of these being reproduced but it’s almost in too good condition to be an original. See picture. If anyone knows for a fact these were reproduced, please advise. thanks

I thought Pulfer & Williams reproduced these years ago. I checked their on-line catalog and it is not shown. It might be worth contacting them at http://www.pulferandwilliams.com

Bill Williams passed away several years ago and the business was sold, I don’t know if they would know or remember what was done say in the 1970’s let alone earlier. I know Bill made a ton of reproduction emblems and many are getting sold to young collectors who don’t know what they are paying big bucks for.

I agree, there was a lot of stuff reproduced in the 60’s and 70’s that people now think are original.

Most “early” bulb/reed brass horns you see, for example (the twist kind, not the straight kind), were made new back in the 50’s and 60’s when thousands were sold. Archers were reproduced, even early Pierce meet plaques were made for sale to club members in the 60’s.

I didn’t pay huge bucks for my Fleet Arrow emblem, just wanted it to represent same in collection. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a real one for sale, but I’d surely be interested in finding a real one, as I’m sure this one is reproduction.

I sent my emblem to Karla Maxwell and will be anxiously awaiting the results.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.