Radio for 1933 Model 1239 EDL

Home Page Forums Body Radio for 1933 Model 1239 EDL

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Well, thanks to a tip from Michael Bolitho, I just bought myself my first Pierce Arrow! I only wanted one since I was about eight years old. While I don’t have the car in my hands yet, I’m already starting to get things ready. The car is beautiful, and is only missing one thing, a radio.

There is a hole in the dashboard for a radio, roughly shield size, I believe for the head unit of a radio. Does any one know who would be the manufacturer of the radio, or possibly have a the correct radio, or at least the head unit, for sale? Thanks

Philco. I have several. I’m in Florida right now so I can’t provide a photo.

Great, just post a message when you get back north.

Congrats Kenneth-great to hear about the purchase!

Hey Kenneth. Good deal.

What are some of the particulars of the car?

Be sure to post pictures of the car when you get it home.

Looking forward to seeing it at the gathering.

Ken,

I have a Philco radio made for Pierce Arrow that I would sell. I don’t know if the dial unit is what will work on your car, but the radio was specifically made for Pierce Arrow by Philco. Contact me if you are interested.Photos available.

Thanks all for your nice comments. Right now I am waiting for the car to be delivered tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning. Once I have my hot little hands on it, I’ll take some pictures and post them.

anxious to see the pictures ken. glad you ‘pulled the trigger”. you waited and researched to find the right one for you.

george quay”

Interestingly, you are better off with a correct year radio head, and a late model receiver. Every year they made huge progress in tuners, ………..it’s a long story…….., but the head from 1931-1933 will fit a tuner from 1938. Is ten times better than the early unit. I purchased several late style receivers to use on my early cars, thus I have one radio head and two receivers for each car. Ed

Well, the car was delivered today! It’s safely parked in the garage. Now the only problem is the title is still lost in transit between two post offices. I know it was sent as the PO confirms it was sent, it was in the area as of Wednesday. Can’t get plates and registration until I get the title. Anyway, here’s the first picture of the car!

Trying the pic again

Kenneth, what a nice car! You will look great in this V12 sedan touring with the PAS. Is this a 1236 or the longer base?

John, it’s actually a stretched version of a 1236, three inches longer to accommodate the seven passenger body. It has the newer Studebaker based body. Thanks for the compliments! Now, new tires, turn signals, before I venture out touring!

Kenneth,

Great looking Pierce Arrow I am looking forward to seeing it in person.

The car is beautiful.

Enjoy driving this great automobile.

Hi Ken,

Beautiful car!

The first year that the Pierce factory actually built in a radio head into the instrument cluster was 1935. Prior to that, dealers would install them on the steering column, dash, or in one glove-box door. (My ’34 has the Philco “cathedral head”” unit installed in the right-hand glove-box.) I have never seen one on the dash itself in a ’33 – I would be curious to see where the hole is. I can send a picture of the glove-box installation if you like.

Enjoy!

Bob Jacobsen”

Kenneth,

Great car congratulations. I am envious of the extra 4 cylinders. Did you get an archer for the radiator? There is a correct one on eBay if you didn’t.

Enjoy using it.

Bill

Okay, I went out and took a couple of pictures of the dash today where a radio had been installed. It appears to fit the head of a Philco Pierce Arrow radio. The radio head was installed in the lower half of the dash, to the left of the right side glove box.

A very nice car Ken, the ’33 cars are definitely one of my favorites. Great running cars, excellent brakes, and still retains the Classic era looks.

Curious, why do you describe it aa a Studebaker-based body? The Studebaker and Pierce styling cues were similar through much of the ’29-’33 years, but when put side by side there are noticeable differences in size and the appointments.. The ’33 Pierce Club Sedan and a ’33 Stude St Regis are pretty close, but not much is interchangeable..

i’d describe it as the stylists and designers looked over each other’s shoulders at each other’s drawing boards at the design studio…

The EDL and the 7 passenger sedans, both the 836 and 1236 got a 3″ stretch in the chassis and wheelbase. The stretch was mostly in the rear door opening. but little matches between a 5 passenger sedan and a 7 passenger sedan from the windshield back. I’ve measured the body parts from a ’33 EDL and compared them to ’33 club sedans and 5 passenger sedans.

What is even more confusing for ’33 are the long wheelbase custom body chassis and bodies. The 1242 models, (137″ and 142″WB) and the 1247 (147″WB) models used a noticeably less slanted radiator grill, it looks to be left over 1932 hood and radiator shell/shutter assemblies. But the ’33 swept fenders with the more streamlined headlights were used.

Your car will be a real joy to drive, I’m sure you will enjoy it.

Greg Long

Where would I find the engine serial number on my ’33 v12?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.