Radio for 1933 Model 1239 EDL

Home Page Forums Body Radio for 1933 Model 1239 EDL

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Go to the website menu under tools and select identification guide. Enter your VIN and the details will show up including photo of engine serial number location.

hi Ken, the V12 engine serial number is on the right side of the engine block, at the rear of the cylinder block. It is not easy to see.

Open the right side hood, put your head as close to the firewall as possible, look down past the cylinder head, past the cylinder block, to the flat surface that the cylinder block is gasketed to. This would be just ahead of the bell housing around the flywheel.

In the attached image, the number would be just above the starter on the slanted gasket surface that the cylinder block is bolted to.

Thanks guys!

Well, I woke up to a day off, with relatively decent weather even if it was 18F outside, so I decided to spend some quality time with my Pierce this morning. First of all I checked the oil level, and then checked the coolant to ensure it was protected for freezing, and everything seemed find. The acid test was starting, and I am pleased to report that the battery held the charge, and the car fired right up. We went out cruising, and Sally the Wonder Hound curled up on the seat next to me enjoying the car. The first big surprise, as we headed east, was that “occasional flurries ending 10:00” turned out to be about one inch of snow. Well, we found out the hard way that the windshield wipers work! There were a lot of spin outs, but the Pierce was fine. I’m glad that I got out of the area before they used any road salt. I headed west out of the snow area, and put about 40 miles on the car, getting used to it, and I guess it getting used to me. The car performed perfectly, no trouble whatsoever. It was running a little rough at the beginning, but soon quieted down and people were surprised at how quiet it was running. All together a good day!

Excellent news Kenneth-thanks for posting.

PS, I don’t recommend chains for Winter driving!

Barring a nice clear weekend when Bill Morris wants to come up to look at the car, it’s pretty much in the garage for the duration of the winter. I wanted to run it nice and hot to get all of the accumulated moisture out of it.

Another dumb new guy question: My windshield wipers work, but slowly, and appear to be in need of lubrication. Any suggestions? I don’t want to use anything that might deteriorate parts.

Back to the radio for a moment. If anyone has any radios of this vintage, please post the tube types or numbers. I still have several thousand tubes from back in the TV and radio repair days, and sources for many if not most tubes ever made. It is worth a look to see if there are any available for spares.

Back to the wipers. Greg and the experts on Pierces should comment, but assuming these are vacuum wipers, cleaning and a light (sewing machine oil) lube on the shafts and knuckles makes sense. If they do run slowly, it is often the diaphram in the motor that is getting stiff. On my two seater Tbirds, we can extend the life of the motors by sucking up some DOT 3 brake fluid into the vacuum port. That may not be appropriate here, so I would yield to the experts for comment.

Bob Jacobsen and Bob Coates–You both asked me questions about the radio for the Pierce. I have sent you pics directly via email as it seems I can’t upload them correctly on this website. I can’t even get pics that I formatted to upload and have uploaded in the past to upload, but in any event, I’ve sent you pics of both the radio and installation. Tubes in the Philco Model ME, current 1935, are 84, 82, 74, two 39-44, and a 6A7. It was hard to read the tubing diagram which was deteriorated.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.