robe rail

Home Page Forums Body robe rail

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Hi Guys, would anyone have a photo and measurements of the robe rail in a 1928 seven passenger Sedan.in back of the drivers seat or if there was one…thanks Ed

Ed,

The picture was taken while riding in the back of Diane Gallets 1928 Series 36 EDL during the Buffalo meet. I do not know if it is original or not. Sorry, no measurements. My Series 36 is a 7 p Touring and does not have a robe rail. Hope this helps. Dave

Hi Ed,

Attached are some pictures of the robe rail that is our families collection 1925 Series 33 EDL. I know that this is a couple years older than your car/series. Hopefully this will help in getting a rail for your car.

*Note: The division window opening above the robe rail is 44 1/4″. The with of the car is 50 1/2″” at the door jams and the floor is 48 1/2″” from side to side.

Ben”

Bracket Attachment with tape measure.

Bracket Attachment Driver Side

Bracket Attachment Passenger Side

Bracket Attachment With Measurement

Rail Attachment With Measurement

Ben and David thank you for your help. i wonder if the open 7 pass. might be different then the EDL model at least now i know what to look for…..Ed

Ed,

If someone has a parts book, you could look up the numbers and see if they are the same or different.

Bill

The Series 33 touring car robe rail is different.

Since Bill mentioned the parts book, I looked it up and it appears that all of the different body styles have different part numbers. If the photo isn’t clear enough for you to read, let me know and I’ll e-mail it to you.

I checked some photos I took of the 1928 Series 36 7p Touring at the Gilmore Museum and one shows the robe rail. Definitely different from the one in the EDLs. So now I guess I have to keep my eyes open for an appropriate robe rail for my car. Looking in the Series 36 Data Book, the overhead view line drawings of the 7p sedan show a shape similar to the EDL and don’t show one in the side view. At any rate, the closed cars and open seem to be different.

Dave

I would speculate that the Robe Rails on the open cars needed to be weatherproof!

I agree, Peter! I’ve driven our ’31 phaeton in a toad-strangling rain in Texas, and found out that the only difference with/without side curtains, with them installed you only need ONE towel per person to try to stay dry!

Hey David, thanks for that info it looks like 7 pass sedan has its own robe rail. that should make it a little harder to find. i hope i can get a photo of what it looks like from one of our members. i would think it would be close to the EDL’s….Ed

Hi Ed,

As I was running some errands I stopped by Billy’s Vintage and Customs in Ramona, CA. They personally have a original 1927 Series 36 7-Passenger sedan. Attached are the photos you need.

Measurements are as follows:

Robe Rail Unit (outside edge to outside edge) 39 7/8″

Robe Rail with Brackets (outside edge to outside edge) 40 1/4″

Notice the detail in the curve of the rail. This matches the door handles on the outside of the car.

For more in formation, contact Billy Sandvik. Number is in the PAS Roster.

Here is another picture.

Benjamin, thank you for help now i have to find one……i just want to say that you guys in this club are the greatest…Ed

Hi Ed, That curved piece looks familiar, I’m going to go look though my stuff, I might have the curved hinged parts. I’ll let you know what I find.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.