Time to sell 1245?

Home Page Forums General Time to sell 1245?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Hey folks, just want to get some thoughts on whether I should hold on to my 1935 1245 7-passenger sedan. In all honesty it has sat in my garage, only seeing the sunlight a couple of times in the last 4-years. It was restored 20 or so years ago, and is starting to show that it may need a refresher. What I am wrestling with is my fear of driving it due to it’s rarity, and the difficulty in getting parts should something happen. (I live in the mountains and we have a lot of deer…and of course the texter’s)….I know if I sell it, it’s unlikely I will ever have the opportunity to own one again, but it really just “garage art” at this point. What do you think?

Kerry

Beautiful car. Drive it and enjoy it!

Robert

DRIVE IT! It’s a beautiful car and is rolling art. Keep it rolling as you can enjoy it that way as well as seeing it as garage art.

Bill

Drive it and enjoy it. Parts are available should something break,and cars eventually deteriorate faster just sitting than they do being driven once in a while. A great looking car.

Dave

Just make sure it is properly insured, drive it and enjoy it.

It is a beautiful car.

The brakes are out on my 1933 1236 at the moment, but I made a habit of driving it at least once a week, and I live in Chicago. Driven the car in rush hour traffic here with no problems.

I agree with all the above mentioned comments about driving. You are lucky to own a restored and such a beautiful Pierce-Arrow! I only wish my 1935 1255 looked as nice as does your car and I would put miles on it. Enjoy your car, none of us (including you) are getting any younger…..

I agree with the others in saying I wish I had a restored Pierce Arrow.

I don’t drive mine nearly as much as I’d like because the car is pretty much all 1929.

The motor has never been apart so I know it is only a matter of time before it needs to come out.

If I had a rebuilt engine in there I would drive it all the time.

Protect your investment by driving it regularly. That car with the Stewart-Warner Power brake system will stop like a modern car, but don’t use freewheeling in mountainous areas. Any ’33-35 has the best brakes around until discs came the norm. The V-12 is strong and reliable once the cobwebs are cleared out.

Our 1933 1247 (my Sports Bus!)gets several hundred miles of exercise each year, often driven by other members because I have another Pierce.

This is an original CA car, resprayed in 1959, engine done in 2001. Get it out and drive it on club tours to start with so there are knowledgeable people around to help with any problems. Join VMCCA, AACA and CCCA for their tours and bring it to PAS events whenever you can.

Cars are like people…both need and benefit from exercise. Avoid ethanol gas or redo carbs, pumps & rubber fuel lines to avoid degradation of same.

If you don’t have them, put seat belts in!

I am still working on the headlight brightness issues. Stay tuned.

I cannot agree more with all the comments above. The more you drive it, the more comfortable you are with it, the more you drive it! A great circular reinforcement.

Since I like it when some of these discussions meander off topic (as they frequently do), Bob Coates suggestion is an interesting one. There have been many good discussions on the AACA forum regarding seat belts in pre-war cars. There are good points on both sides whether to add seat belts or not and where to safely anchor the seat belts on a car with a wood body on a steel frame.

In all pre-war car, the only safety feature is your brain!

I think Curtiss’s suggest was spot on, find places or times with very low density of cars and enjoy the drive.

Robert

Adding to the above comments, I purchased a set of the wireless turn signals as mentioned in this website, and am using them as an interim fix until I can get hardwired turn signals front and back. My car has taillights on both sides, the three “cans” on the left and a single on the right, so they along with the driving lights in front can be fitted with dual filament bases so they can be used as turn signals. Adding to Dave’s comments, I would not drive in city traffic with Free Wheeling engaged, as sometimes you’ll need the extra engine braking boost. I’m searching for LED headlights for the car, as sometimes coming home from a drive night it gets a little dark, especially in the suburbs and through the woods near my house. I’m afraid that Halogen bulbs would get to hot and melt the replacement headlight lenses. Anyone have any leads on LED bulbs for a 1933 Pierce?

I’d take up deer hunting and increase your coverage on your Pierce. It’s

not clear whether we’re likely to encounter P.A.’s in an afterlife setting

so it’s best to take advantage of motoring in one in the time we have left.

Tony…left you a message on your cell today. Need a UPS shipping address ASAP to send you some parts for you car that have been on the bench for twelve months……Ed

Ken, I love using hand signals when driving my Pierce. A few times I have forgotten I am in one of my “more modern”” collector cars or even my daily driver and try and stick my hand out the closed window and bang my elbow or forearm! LOL.

Robert”

Ed,

My cell phone is junk. I’m in love with the Green Goddess.

Shipping address: 100 Pine Circle Westwood, Cal. 96137

Thanks, Tony

If anyone can find a 12 volt LED bulb that will fit the Pierce headlights, I have a way to make them work without rewiring anything else. Let me know if anyone has any leads.

[email protected]

Bob,

I just purchased a set of 21-watt, positive-ground LED bulbs from the UK that should fit the P-A headlamps.

I’ll post a review after they arrive and I give them a trial run.

They also sell 5-watt LED bulbs that should fit P-A taillights.

Peter

Peter, Could you start a new thread to address the subject of LED lights for the Pierce-Arrow. Many of us are likely to have a serious interest in them also and would like to learn from your experiences.

Al

Hey folks thanks for all the great feedback. Still wrestling with it, but the wife is pushing to part with it (she is thinking we have too many toys, and it’s time to pair down to the ones that are more practical).

Not sure where this will end up, but I do appreciate all the support and advice!

Kerry

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.