Time to sell 1245?

Home Page Forums General Time to sell 1245?

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Toys are like boats and hotrods. You can have too many of them. But you

are a custodian of a rare historical piece and have a calling. Whether it’s

patriotism or an appreciation that their is no future without honoring the

past, you have done your bit. Wives will at times overlook the importance

of your mission, but try giving her more attention and jewelry helps. Many

of the afflicted have tried changing wives until an amenable one shows up,

but I don’t recommend that for you. Good Luck.

Kerry,

If you choose to sell your Pierce-Arrow, it would be great if you were to first post its availability on the PAS Emporium so that other PAS members would have first shot at purchasing your lovely, rare and historical motorcar.

Peter

PS: Thanks to Tony for providing eloquence to knock-off.

Morning, I really appreciate all the input! Looks like the wife wins out on this, and we will be moving towards a more practical classic (I know, but…). Question comes in on estimating an asking price, since this is not a run of the mill car with a great deal of recent sales, where to start? I see the levels that the Old Cars Weekly Price Guide lists, but on something like this, is that somewhat accurate? Obviously the market for a car like this is limited, and finding the “right person at the right time” can be a challenge, just need a guideline on where to start.

And Yes, naturally the first place to start will be with the folks that can appreciate it the most!

My opinions. . . .

I just looked at a 1936 eight cylinder 5-p Sedan which was for sale locally. Absolutely perfect car. I did not buy it but think the car changed ownership for about $50,000. Maybe $45k. 1930’s Sedans, even Twelves, are not six figure cars. In my opinion.

My opinion: I like the 1935 looks better than 36 or 37, but I don’t care for the 7-p Body style. I prefer the eight over the twelve for reasons of complexity, economy, practicality, etc.

I say this because everyone has their favorites and priorities and you are right — you need to find that one person who really wants exactly what you have. If he doesn’t come forth in a reasonable time (that only you can determine) then you begin to price the car to get it sold. Just realize that if you price it too high, you will turn off people who otherwise might be interested. Tough call.

Check auction prices, do lots of Google searches for similar cars advertised but realize that an asking price and a “selling” price are usually very different. There are cars — Pierces — advertised for huge money year after year, never selling. No one will even make an offer if your asking price is ridiculous.

However it works out, plan on taking as many GOOD quality photographs as you can. All around the outside, all around the interior including back seat, front seat, headliner, dashboard, etc. And then at least both sides of the engine and any good details but also blemishes and bad parts. If this is not easy for you to do, find a younger person well versed on creating a file of photos of appropriate size (not all megabyte huge) so that the file can be sent to anyone with interest. All the photos can be taken with your iPhone. But they need to be the right size and good quality. Having bought and sold many times over the years, photographs are a must. Then when you’ve captured my interest, I’d fly in for a visit. (If I wanted the car).

But as everyone says, please advertise it here on the PAS for a while. Then I would try Hemmings and the HCCA classifides website. You could try eBay as most people look there but I think that would be just for advertising, not a sale.

Good luck. Anxious to see more photos !

A new member signed up at the red field Hershey tent looking for a car just like yours…….great timing! Dave Stephens will have his info, good luck!

Edgar, I think you mean Dave Stevens.

Yes! Sorry…….I see you spelling here often so it’s what I ended up typing. Ed

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.