OPTIMA 6V Red Top Battery Deal

Home Page Forums General OPTIMA 6V Red Top Battery Deal

• This topic has 44 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by .
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Message deleted by original poster

Peter,

Thank you for arranging the OPTIMA Deal again. I was holding my breath hoping that you would come up with this deal for us before the Big Meet in California.

Ken

I bought three last week.

Peter,

Thank you! Bought one two years ago and really like it. I have been hoping you would be able to pull it off again so I can get more.

Appreciate your efforts,

Robert

Thank-you Peter.

This is a great deal on great batteries!

This is a spectacular deal and when properly maintained, these batteries last for years.

I pulled a 10 year old battery out of my Pierce only because of its age, not because it had failed.

It still cranked the motor just fine.

I replaced it with a battery from one of these first Optima deals.

Gents,

This is serious over-kill, but this is how my Series 80 is set up with TWO Optima Red tops.

Some may have interest, specifically the Pierce-8 & Pierce-12 people.

With this arrangement, I figure that I am set for the next 15-years or so.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for sharing your set up for the two batteries. I was looking for the

diagram last night. This is the way I am planning on setting mine up.

Ken

I like the idea of wiring two batteries in series. Will this fit in the battery box of my 1933 1236?

The picture is actually two batteries wired in parallel, to give same voltage but double the amperage.

Wired in series, a plus terminal on one battery to the minus terminal on the other, you’d get double the voltage at the same amperage.

Ken,

I am not knowledgeable on fitting two in the battery box of your 1933 1236, but I was told that I was nuts to do so on a Series 80 because it is overkill for starting a 6-Cylinder Pierce.

However that person said that the idea was Great for a Pierce-8.

If is’s Great for an Eight, then it must be Outstanding for a Twelve.

The OPTIMA website posts the following dimensions for the Red Top 6V: 10.06″ L X 3.63″ W X 8.13″ H.

So, you need a battery box that will hold a 7.26″ to 7.75″ wide battery (including some wiggle room).

I mounted mine on a piece of plywood that has ¾” dense cell foam between the plywood and the bottom of the batteries.

They are secured by nylon webbing and a snap buckle running under the plywood and over the tops of the batteries.

At first, I used an old leather belt, which was more secure but less elegant.

Together, they fit nicely in the Series 80 Battery box.

Apropos of the wiring diagram, I believe that Arnold Romberg published an article on this matter in one of the PAS Service Bulletins.

Finally, all of the battery posts, cables, etc., are available at your local Auto Parts store.

Peter

Two Optima batteries fit side by side in the battery box of my ’29.

I only have one in there now so I added a piece of 4×4 wood to help take up the extra space.

Running to is fine……..lots of amps! When on tour I disconnect one so in the event of a Generator failure I have two batteries to run the car on. Works great.

Ken,

This setup will fit in your battery box.

Dave

Peter et all,

PASB 2013-2,p.8, shows my 1703 battery wiring. The “flag”” terminals make it very sanitary installation. Take a look.”

Bob,

Is can you repost it here so we can read it and see the diagram? I don’t have that issue.

Ken

Ken,

Go back to page 68 of this message board, Carl Kimberlin, 19 MAR’13, article; scroll down to my article, 09 FEB ’13. You will see a pic of my battery wiring.

Bob,

Thank you for pointing that out. I learned something today.

Ken

Bob & Gents,

Here is the photo of Bob’s arrangement.

They fit nicely and don’t appear to be strapped together.

Peter

I have 6v Optima batteries in several of my classics. Top notch batteries want to know when the sale begins.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.