OPTIMA 6V Red Top Battery Deal

Home Page Forums General OPTIMA 6V Red Top Battery Deal

• This topic has 44 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by .
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Bill,

Read the first sentence of my original notification above. ;-)

Peter

Peter, Love these batteries. I want to be in line when these come available. Absolutely want three! Just waiting for the date!

An easy way to set up two Optimas in parallel is to use this battery pack. I used this for a ’38 LaSalle I had and it worked really well; the pack fits in the normal size battery box.

https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=28076

Orin,

I know about that product, I made mine before he was on the market.

Also, the side by side model of the Optima battery holder sells for $409, plus S&H.

I had to fool around a bit buying battery post and cables, etc, but I believe that I AM ALL IN & SET UP for under $50.00 and two-hours work (because I work slowly).

I do not know if the manufactured version is better, but mine works fine for approximately 11% (about $360 less) of the cost.

For that sum, I could buy three more Optima 6v Red Top batteries.

Peter

http://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=28076

I wish I knew what I’ve done wrong in my life.

Everyone raves about Optima batteries, I’ve owned one in my life, it was in a car for about a year, the car was driven about once a month just to keep everything moving and charged.

After a year it went bad, totally dead, could not be charged.

I’m glad that others have good luck with them, I’m sort of bummed by my experience….

Optima batteries are of the AGM type.

Nothing kills them faster than letting them go flat dead.

If you keep them charged and cycle them on occasion they are fantastic batteries.

No leaking acid, no terminal corrosion and they’re half the size of a standard lead acid battery.

I run Optimas in all my vintage cars and love them. I run a pair in parallel on the 8-cylinder cars for the reserve capacity (see below), not for better starting. Two things to remember about Optimas:

1. Do NOT use a lift strap to install or remove,

2. If an Optima’s charge is quite low (e.g., 5.7V or less), it will not take a charge UNLESS you hook it up in parallel with another 6V battery (preferably another AGM but wet cell OK too) with over 6.0V for the charging process.

Reserve capacity of an Optima 6V is 100 ampere-hours (AH). *-cyl Pierces came with 140 AH Group 3 batteries, 12s with 165 AH Group 4s. So it takes a pair of Optimas to meet–and exceed–OE equipment. Cars thru most of 1934 has 25 amp generators which drop to 17 amps when the temperature compensator kicks in after a few minutes, even with the third brush turned up all the way. (Yes, there was a higher output generator available, a Delco 955 perhaps.) Any long night drives will have a charging deficit, so the longer reserve is very helpful.

Another thing I noticed about the AGM type batteries is that a standard, old style battery charger will not effectively charge them.

My old style charger could not accurately read an AGM battery (both 6v and 12v) and charge it properly so I purchased a full electronically controlled charger and have not had any issues charging them.

My old charger still works great for lead acid batteries but I only use the newer one for my AGM batteries.

Some modern cars come from the factory with AGM batteries so a new electronically controlled charger is a worthwhile purchase.

George,

I assume that your reference to “Do Not Use a Lift Strap” relates to a strap that attaches to each of the terminals (+ & -), rather than a strap that wraps around the entire battery.

Peter

Craig, you said, “Another thing I noticed about the AGM type batteries is that a standard, old style battery charger will not effectively charge them.” My take is that old style chargers are fine *IF* you run them for a period of time and then shut them off. That is, as you allude, they don’t dial back/shut off from their “reading” of the Optima’s state of charge. Our cars don’t have high-tech electronic regulation, either…

Peter, yes the good ol’ battery lift strap which attaches to the battery posts is the one I was referring to in that statement.

If I recall, the instructions instruct that the batteries are to be charged

at the rate of 1 amp. Most chargers in member’s garages have lowest rates

of 2 amps.

Gents,

I trickle charge mine with a 6v Battery Tender that puts out 1.25 Amps.

Their newer model has the same output specs.

It has all the electronics that you need and it is fine with AGM batteries.

The cost is listed as $39.95.

Peter

http://products.batterytender.com/Chargers/Battery-Tender-Junior-6V-1-25A-High-Efficiency.html

JUST FYI:

REDTOP Type: 6V

These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep-cycle applications.

Recommended charging information:

• Alternator:

• 6.65 to 7.5 volts, no amperage limit.

• Battery Charger:

• 6.9 to 7.5 volts, 10 amps maximum, approximately for six to twelve hours.

• Rapid Recharge:

• Maximum 7.8 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below one amp.

• Float Charge: 6.6 to 6.9 volts, one amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

• Strictly adhere to all limits.

• Safety Information:

• Always wear safety glasses when working with batteries.

• Always use a voltage-regulated battery charger with limits set to the above ratings. Overcharging can cause the safety valves to open and battery gasses to escape, resulting in premature failure. These gasses are flammable! You cannot replace water in sealed batteries that have been overcharged. Any battery that becomes very hot or makes a hissing sound while recharging should be disconnected immediately.

• Failure to fully charge a battery can result in poor performance and a reduction in capacity.

• These guidelines are intended for typical consumer applications. For military, commercial applications or new equipment design, please contact OPTIMA for additional technical information and assistance

Gents,

Also of note is that OPTIMA does NOT make / sell a 6v battery charger, only 12v chargers.

Hmmm, Very Interesting.

Peter

Tony, I guess that my Battery Tender is kicking out too much amperage (and excess of .25amps), however, it has not yet been a problem.

Ladies and Gents,

I will begin a COUNTDOWN to the OPTIMA Battery Deal soon.

I want as many PAS people as possible to take advantage of the Deal and to not MISS OUT as they have in the past years.

By creating a COUNTDOWN, I will keep the OPTIMA notice near the TOP of the Message Board.

If you think this is obnoxious, oh well!

Cheers,

Peter

Peter,

Will these two six volt Optima batteries in parallel fit into a Group 2 battery box?

Peter,

DuraCell makes a tender that is .8 amps and automatically will go to 6 or 12V plus 12.4 I think it is for lithium batts. I got it at Batt Plus, I think they are a national chain. Jim

I have been using the 6V CTEK charger. The 12V version was recommend by a friend. I have been very happy with it and have not had any issues.

(https://smartercharger.com/products/batterychargers/ctek-uc-800-6v/)

Robert

William,

Here is the info on size that I posted earlier in this discussion.

I have no idea the size of a Group-2 Battery box.

Peter

The OPTIMA website posts the following dimensions for the Red Top 6V: 10.06″ L X 3.63″ W X 8.13″ H.

So, for two batteries, side by side you need a battery box that will hold a 7.26″ to 7.75″ wide battery (including some wiggle room).

With the anticipation of this Optima Battery deal (Thank Your Peter) I have been looking into better ways to hold the battery(s) in the original space/compartment. I ran across this auction on eBay which might be a good solution for most. Often I have thought about trying to “dig out” or remove the internals of an old battery to fill in the area. This seems to be a much cleaner, safer way. This is a Group 2 size battery case.

Note: I have NO affiliation with this auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Style-Battery-Case-Hides-6-volt-Optima-Battery-Classic-Vintage-Cars/362273145165?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.