Membership Photo Challenge #2 Continued

Home Page Forums General Membership Photo Challenge #2 Continued

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 96 total)
  • Author

OK, the last post was getting long and taking too much time to load, so we will continue it here, and I’ll add another photo. Please post photos! Cars from your past, ones that got away, ect. and thanks to all who have posted! ED

How about this one!

Here is a picture of my 1918 Pierce Roadster when the late Ron Fawcett bought it. The next post will show the car as it is today. Originally a custom bodied 2 door-4 passenger roadster built for an oil guy in California by Don Lee. After the oil guy tired of the car he donated it to his local parish priest. The parishoners decided the priest deserved a more modern looking car so they used their collective talents to build another body over top of the original car. It became at least 8 feet longer. It looked like a first take on the bat mobile.

Here is the car today after being totally restored for me in 1988 by the late Ron Fawcett of Whitby Ontario.

Our ’29 143 EDL.

The car was purchased by my grandfather in 1962 and is very original.

Rumor has it that the car was repainted in the late 50’s before my grandfather bought it but the rest of the car pretty much all 1929.

1931 Model 43

Just as we unloaded it, 3 weeks ago, out of a barn in Missouri. According to the sticker, car had its oil changed 500 miles ago, in 1954.

Hey Ed ! Great idea, love all the photos, keep them coming guys.

1934 Brunn Limousine. This is a “sister” car of my Brunn Town Car. These bodies were built at the Brunn facility, brought to the Pierce plant, mounted on a chassis and finished. Above the rear axle #171 is marked in crayon. The following car, an 836A, has #173 marked in the same area. At the time, Pierce had two assembly lines running–this being the odd numbered line, to the left would be the even numbered line. I doubt that this would be the 171rd car built, more than likely the 71st–with Pierce starting the line with the number 100. All production cars had each upholstery panel, seats, even its’ wheels (under the center rubber band) marked with the same “given number,” thus assuring, parts for that particular car.

Here’s one (A “before picture”) from the previous owner of our 1931 Model 43 who found her down Texas way, painted in white house paint…..with a broom, is what he said it looked like. The car was tired, dirty, but relatively complete having coming out of extended storage. Apparently the “low cost” paint job, the heavy coating of paint, the dry Texas climate, and a good roof, helped to preserve the sheet metal and interior.

Here’s the “after”” picture. Note that the broom brush marks have been smoothed out a little!

Happy Motoring!

Chris”

Nice find Milton.

I find it amazing that cars like that are still hiding in barns.

Good luck with the project and maybe one day our families will get to ride in each others Pierce Arrows and Rickenbackers.

Here are a couple for Ralph…

This is my 1928 Fleet-Arrow firetruck. These were taken before Fred Tycher bought it and let it rot outside under some bushes in his back yard for 10 years. When I got it, all the wood was gone…including the steering wheel. It is inside my barn now…at least not getting any worse.

It is on the 180″ FA-3 Fleet-Arrow chassis. The fire equipment is by Boyer. The gold leaf on the hood says “”So. Hackensack Fire Co. 2″””

This is a close up of the radiator badge…

Paul, You know I like fire engines. Yours is a beauty. Hopefully one day you will restore it. I will post a picture of the before and after of my American LaFrance (hope no one minds, it’s not a Pierce) to give you some inspiration.

This is what it looked like when I picked it up in 1987. It’s a 1923 American LaFrance Triple Combination Pumper, Ex Toronto Fire Department.

After 9 months of a complete frame-off restoration including all of the original 23 Krt gold leaf striping and scrolls put back on…..this is what you get. I’ll come down and help you take yours apart.

Thanks Ralph,

I’m pretty good at taking things apart. Actually, if you could get the gas cap off that would help…it’s been stuck for years and years!

It looks like yours had a windshield added too. I took the windshield off mine and found mounting holes (and shiny red paint) that matched the mounting brackets for the grab rail going up the cowl. I think the grab rail originally extended across the top of the cowl.

As far as fire trucks go, mine isn’t too big…23 feet long from front bumper to the back of the platform across the back. The top of the hose reel is lower than the top on my Series 33.

It doesn’t have a pump, only the two chemical tanks, lots of plumbing and valves, and the hose reel. The back is (was) a wooden hose bed…metal on the outside, but strips of wood on the inside, presumably to let water drain out. It has dual wheels on the back and a brake on the drive-shaft.

The front fenders/hood are Series 80, but the dash and instruments are different…not Series 80, 81, 33 or 36.

Paul

Milton, Nice car…… I spoke to the person you bought it off a while back. It was in the mid west if I remember correctly. You gonna run it the way it is or restore it? Ed

The car in the above message from Ed Minnie is a 1917 Model 66-A-4 seven passenger touring(67625) originally restored by the late Seth Ely of Denville, New Jersey. Later, it was owned by the Harrah Collection at Reno, Nevada. The above photograph was taken at the Nethercutt Collection at Sylmar, California. The car has been on several Modoc Tours and performs very well.

Right now we are just going to preserve it. Should we restore it?

A peek inside the late Ron Hall’s barn.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.