Membership Photo Challenge #2 Continued

Home Page Forums General Membership Photo Challenge #2 Continued

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Author

Eddie Bell.

I’m certain you have the DASH board for the 1934, coupe convertible; wrongly pictured, as the one in the 1936 “Tourer.”

The “Tourer” was on its’ way to the White House, to replace (Body #D-!),( This “Tourer” is Body D-2). The order was cancelled when Pierce-Arrow filed bankruptcy and the “box car” diverted to (I believe) Maryland. There the largest (at the time) orchid grower in the U.S. bought it–it was sold in the late ’40’s, and into the hands of a Frank Crawford. When Frank died, his estate went to the “Boy Scouts of America.” They (the bank handling the estate) had a “Silent Auction” and Jim Sandoro bought it.

I’ve posted a couple of pictures of “D-1” a while back, the main differences between D-1 and D-2 is in the rear door. D-1 has suicide doors (like a regular sedan), while D-2 opens from the rear as do all other Pierce bodied convertible sedans.

Couple of more photos of the restauration of my car. Here the generator.

Every bolts were restored on my car. Here is the gas instrument “under the knife””. A micro thin metal wire was broken. We in fact managed to soldier (?) them together by using another wire as a bridge. The instrument is working perfectly”

Another try!

This is a test, Is this a side entry hearse or a sedan delivery?

The wheelbase is 168 inches. The drive shaft and stabilizer are each one piece (not stretched with an extender). 1929.

(This one is available. I have resigned myself to the fact that I am not going to restore it. A good engine goes with it.)

Historically, sedan deliveries were built on the same wheelbase as passenger cars. Some exceptions might be First Call cars that funeral homes used for utility vehicles, picking up bodies, hauling chairs and other funeral supplies to the home, etc. I remember a local funeral home had a 51 Chevrolet (I think Superior body) that was nothing but a 51 Chev. sedan delivery with a mortician’s wreath on the side, and perhaps some additional decorative chrome trim. I was fascinated with the vehicle, as it came to our house when I was a twelve year old, to take my grandmother away. I was curious about cars (nuts?) even then.

Mr Romberg, this car looks like a quick fix comparing the project you showed us in Minn. By the way, thank you for giving that presentation, it inspired us all.

Arnold, what an interesting delivery wagon/hearse. Is the rear door support (the part on/in the body itself) made of wood or a casting? This long door; made of steel or aluminum? Four hinges holding the door? Is there a weld seam-joining two doors–to make this a larger one? Is there, also, a rear door on the back end? BODY BY?? Even though the panels were “Pierce,” it was probably “assembled” by a company whose speciality was in the building this type of vehicle. This has got to be the longest chassis made by Pierce, on record?? My guess would be: it’s a side entry hearse, I’m sure Cunningham, (Rochester, New York) built quite a few hearses with “like” side entry.

for arnold romberg. on ebay under “pierce arrow”” is a picture described as a pierce arrow coach bus that appears to be similar if not the same as the picture you show in this thread.

george quay”

I thought that I might as well jump in on this. I recently completed what I thought was going to be a quick restoration to a 1927 Series 36 EDL that I aquired through a trade for some at work that I do. I will confess, some three and a half years later, that I was quite nieve in what I thought would be required to complete a project like this. It was only with a great deal a patience and coaching from Ernie Follis that I was able to complete this undertaking. While I ended up with a great car the journey was mmuch more rewarding then the destination. Great people and great friends were made along the way. See the completed photo.

Syd…… Car looks great! Ed

I love it-thanks for sharing this photo Syd.

Very elegant, Syd…but I’m a sucker for the dual-valve cars.

Paul

Thanks to all for your interest and comments. I accept Bob Sand’s sugestion to call it a side-door hearse. There are absolutely no seams in the metal of the wide rear doors. The body door posts are just like in a regular sedan — wood with steel covering. There are four hinges on each door (one more than on a sedan). Except for the length and the wide rear doors the body is just like a sedan body. (I have a 1929 and a 1930 sedan both with all the upholstery gone, so I know what the wood in the body looks like.) The doors have two extra vertical wood pieces running down from the window sills, and two diagonal braces running from under the windows down and back to the rear wood member of the door. There is no rear door and all the metal skin is stamped steel. The body has a body data plate that is just like the Pierce ones, and in fact the number (125-S-1880) is a sedan number. I think the whole body was built by Pierce-Arrow.

Pierce Arrow Galloping Goose #2 under the Christmas tree

Engineer Mary adjusting the clearance of the “trailer trash”” so the long body of the “”Goose”” can pass on the corner…”

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.